- None Found to the question "Should the Words “under God” Be in the US Pledge of Allegiance?"
Has not made a statement concerning the Pledge of Allegiance, but did state: “it should be noted that we are not a nation ‘under God.’ God is mentioned only twice in The Federalist, each time by James Madison, a clergyman’s son, who used God as in the ‘only Heaven knows’ sense.”
“Inventing a Nation,” 2003
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Literary and political critic at the New York Review of Books, for 25 years.
- Founded US Peace Party with Dr. Benjamin Spock
- Phillips Exeter Academy, New Hampshire, 1943
- Joined US Army Reserve, 1943
- Born at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York
- Son of Oklahoma Senator Thomas Gore
- Cousin of Al Gore
- Brother-in-law to John F. Kennedy