- Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State
- Con to the question "Should the Words “under God” Be in the US Pledge of Allegiance?"
“I happen to like the Pledge of Allegiance. I like the original one, written back in 1892 by a minister who didn’t feel it was necessary to use the word “God” because he was writing a patriotic statement for the country. Back in 1954, we got a little politically correct during the McCarthy era. Everybody had to prove not just that they loved America, but that they also loved God. We got patriotism and religion confused.”
CNN transcript June 27, 2002
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Executive Director, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, 1992-present
- Legislative Counsel, American Civil Liberties Union, 1984-1991
- United Church of Christ
Ordained Minister, United Church of Christ, 1974-1980
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1978
- Theology Degree, Boston University School of Theology, 1973
- BA, Dickinson College, 1970
- None found